serial cable

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
Gyro Gearloose

Re: serial cable

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

I'm finding myself becoming more and more of an emulator man. The amount of crap I'm carrying around that has become unreliable nuisances is just too much.

The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

I'm not an emulator man myself as I sell gizmos that effectively stretch the lifespan of real C64 and C128 but I have to admit, the 1541 Ultimate has considerably changed the way I use CBM 8 bit machines.

The real 1541 and 5.25" floppies are rarely used and the datasette's sole function is to recover old stuff for archival to more modern storage.

Do you have an SD2IEC ? Pi1541 or other more modern device ? It makes using the old machines so much more convenient. The luxury solution remains the 1541 Ultimate carts.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
banman

Post by banman »

Hi Gyro Gearloose and eslapion,
Gyro Gearloose wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:50 am I'm finding myself becoming more and more of an emulator man. The amount of crap I'm carrying around that has become unreliable nuisances is just too much.
I am getting that way myself. I so wish I was better at fixing things up. It is a great feeling getting something going again with your own 2 hands . Most of the time I end up worse off though.

eslapion wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:42 am I'm not an emulator man myself as I sell gizmos that effectively stretch the lifespan of real C64 and C128 but I have to admit, the 1541 Ultimate has considerably changed the way I use CBM 8 bit machines.

The real 1541 and 5.25" floppies are rarely used and the datasette's sole function is to recover old stuff for archival to more modern storage.

Do you have an SD2IEC ? Pi1541 or other more modern device ? It makes using the old machines so much more convenient. The luxury solution remains the 1541 Ultimate carts.

That is a good thing you do eslapion!

I am no where near as accomplished as you and Gyro Gearloose are.

I did manage to get 6 x C64 machines going again by reading very good forums like this one. It is great to see that there are selfless people willing to give their time and patience to newbies such as myself.

:D
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Gyro Gearloose wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:50 am I'm finding myself becoming more and more of an emulator man. The amount of crap I'm carrying around that has become unreliable nuisances is just too much.
Well, just in case you decide to keep the old crap busy, here's a source for your precious serial cable.

https://ultimate64.com/cable35cm
banman wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:48 am It is great to see that there are selfless people willing to give their time and patience to newbies such as myself.

:D
Naa...playing with the old herdware is a very selfish activity and I thoroughly engulf myself in it! I just added a soldering iron... doing what you like is seldom hard work but it does take a lot of time!
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

eslapion wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:11 pm
Well, just in case you decide to keep the old crap busy, here's a source for your precious serial cable.

https://ultimate64.com/cable35cm
Well the price is right but 35cm is a bit short, I'd prefer 60 or 100 cm. I already made a cable only to discover my 1541-II and Excelertor Plus are non-functional. At least my wonky 1581's problem was a bad supply, that was an easy fix.
The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
rmzalbar

Post by rmzalbar »

I have a few ebay cables. They work fine, but the cable itself tends to be typical standard PVC insulation, not quite as nice and flexible as the original rubbery insulation. If you want to source a spool of nice cable, you can compete.
Smooth operator
banman

Post by banman »

Hi eslapion and Gyro Gearloose,

What would the practical maximum length of a VIC/C64 serial cable before one encounters corrupted data transfer?

The cables I have made in the past were 100cm. The same length as 1541 disk drive serial cables....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic