Could TheC64 be used with an Ultimate64?

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
Melon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Could TheC64 be used with an Ultimate64?

Post by Melon »

I've seen a few unboxing/reviews now of TheC64 over on YouTube.

And I was wondering if the case/keyboard could be modified to use with the Ultimate64/Elite?

Would the U64/E fit into the case?

.oO( MELON64 - ONE SLiCE AiN'T ENOUGH! )Oo.
LordSoth

Re: Could TheC64 be used with an Ultimate64?

Post by LordSoth »

Very obviously the case would need to be heavily modded for the ports on the back. The keyboard appears to be USB, though you'd need to hack on a standard USB type A end onto it. I believe the Ultimate64 can use a USB keyboard although I don't think there's a way to tell how the keyboard layout would work without actually trying it.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

LordSoth wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:14 pm... I believe the Ultimate64 can use a USB keyboard ...
The Ultimate 64 is a hardware reproduction (in FPGA) of a real C64, not an emulation like TheC64 and TheC64 Mini are. As such it will not support USB joysticks or keyboards.

To that functionality is added the equivalent of a 1541 Ultimate II+ for 1541 emulation and USB storage support.

Since the Ultimate 64 is a complete hardware reproduction of a C64, it will support the cartridges of a real C64, something the TheC64 and the C64 Mini can't offer.

The Ultimate 64 will work ok with keyboards from a VIC-20, VIC-1001, C64, C64c and SX-64 (with an adapter).
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
LordSoth

Post by LordSoth »

eslapion wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:44 pm
LordSoth wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:14 pm... I believe the Ultimate64 can use a USB keyboard ...
The Ultimate 64 is a hardware reproduction (in FPGA) of a real C64, not an emulation like TheC64 and TheC64 Mini are. As such it will not support USB joysticks or keyboards.

To that functionality is added the equivalent of a 1541 Ultimate II+ for 1541 emulation and USB storage support.

Since the Ultimate 64 is a complete hardware reproduction of a C64, it will support the cartridges of a real C64, something the TheC64 and the C64 Mini can't offer.

The Ultimate 64 will work ok with keyboards from a VIC-20, VIC-1001, C64, C64c and SX-64 (with an adapter).
A USB keyboard will also work with it. Someone's actually tried it and it worked.

eslapion

Post by eslapion »

LordSoth wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:40 am A USB keyboard will also work with it. Someone's actually tried it and it worked.
After checking with Gideon, officially, the Ultimate 64's 3 USB ports are for 'USB sticks' (I thought they were called USB keys) and flash card readers.

Externally powered USB 2.0 hubs are supported too. USB 1.1 and USB 3.0 hubs are not supported. Input devices are not supported.

I didn't see anything in the menus of my U-64 which would allow for a keyboard.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Okay... it looks like I was wrong about the USB keyboard on the Ultimate -64... simple USB keyboards will work and here's how:

The 1541 U2 portion of the Ultimate 64 has the ability to DMA data directly to RAM, just like 1541 U I/II/II+ carts. Now the keyboard buffer is in the first 1K of RAM and other peripherals such as the cardco numeric keypad took advantage of that and the keypad was plugged in the joystick port.

Even though the keypad required additional software to work, it simply converted the new inputs to values directly added to the keyboard buffer so a lot of software couldn't tell the difference from the normal keyboard.

The Ultimate-64 does the same with a USB keyboard. Even though key-presses don't equate to actual signals on the 6526, the 1541 UII can DMA data directly to the keyboard buffer so the C64's OS can differentiate from actual keys pressed on the normal keyboard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic