Williamsburg Adventure 64

Games, Productivity Tools etc
Sixteen Plus

Williamsburg Adventure 64

Post by Sixteen Plus »

As requested, here is my first and maybe only ever C64 release Image

http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=23902&d=36

Here is the link to the original C16 Release Image

Written in BASIC, it's a simple text adventure converted from the Commodore 16 of a 1985 release from Microdeal.

It was the first adventure I really played (and beat). It isn't large and it isn't really that difficult, it's basically a simple two word command adventure. The story (what there is of it) is totally crazy and is quite humourously macabre in parts. Basically you have to find a golden horseshoe (the story doesn't explain why), well that is basically the whole synopsis of it :mrgreen:

Converting a simple text adventure to the C64 wasn't that straight forward as I thought it might be. As well as simply replacing the COLOR commands with the relevant pokes. It was littered with the ELSE command which is kinda loosely similar to OR that it carries out another set of instructions if it couldn't carry out the previous.

i.e:

Code: Select all

1 L=0
2 L=L+1
3 IF L=42 THEN PRINT "GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD!":END:ELSE PRINT "LIFE IS PRETTY GOOD!"
4 GOTO 2
Well that wasn't the hardest job as it meant I had to add in new lines, and because the original line numbers was all incremented by 1, it meant that I had to renumber not just the entire listing but also edit the GOTO and GOSUB statements. Well it took me the best part of a day.

Well it's hardly in the realms of what you guys are capable of, and to make this thread and game appear more interesting than it actually is, I try to make myself sound a little more clever than I actually am, but for a near programming novice like myself it isn't bad stuff (it works). I might think about doing the rest of the series of these adventures one day Image

Prime

Re: Williamsburg Adventure 64

Post by Prime »

Nice to see others sharing source code no matter what there skill level is.
Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus »

And what would you say my skill level is? Image :geek: (no, don't answer that) Image
onlineprof2010

Post by onlineprof2010 »

This is interesting since I used to live in Williamsburg. It is a tourist town now with people dressing up in period costumes. All those streets are still there. Thanks for sharing.
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Hi Sixteen Plus
Sixteen Plus wrote: [snip]
i.e:

1 L=0
2 L=L+1
3 IF L=42 THEN PRINT "GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD!":END:ELSE PRINT "LIFE IS PRETTY GOOD!"
4 GOTO 2
There are a couple of work-arounds in BASIC 2, my favourite being ON-(condition) GOTO x: ...

like:

1 L = 0
2 L = L+1
3 PRINT "LIFE IS PRETTY GOOD!":ON-(L<42)GOTO 2:PRINT "GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD!":END
However you do it, there's the potential to end up with spaghetti code, but that's BASIC for you.

Regards,

Shaun.
BASIC Programming - making the mistakes so that you don't have to.
Circles and Squares.
Nothing I post here will stand up in a court of law.
Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus »

Sorry I don't visit here often as I'm mainly on REMOVED, so caught the replies late.

@shaunb
gotcha. yeah my coding is very messy. that piece wasn't part of the game though. Ah, it all works ;)

@onlineprof2010
Interesting. All these years, I never realised it was based on a real USA town in Virginia using real locations. I just checked out Duke of Gloucester Street on Google Maps. Yup, it's there including College of William and Mary, King Arms Tavern, Bruton Parish & the Governor's Palace. Even the palace maze exists. Scribner's Bookstore though I'm guessing is probably long gone, and The Music Teachers Shop and Gift Shop seem more speculative. Can you confirm?

Thanks for that piece of trivia. Surprising really seeing as the C16 totally flopped in the USA and this is a C16 only game (until now). Glad you really like the game :)
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Sixteen Plus wrote:Sorry I don't visit here often as I'm mainly on REMOVED, so caught the replies late.

@shaunb
gotcha. yeah my coding is very messy. that piece wasn't part of the game though. Ah, it all works ;)
'Fast' or 'optimised' BASIC can be messy so don't worry about it. The important thing is to meet the requirements.

Regards,

Shaun.
BASIC Programming - making the mistakes so that you don't have to.
Circles and Squares.
Nothing I post here will stand up in a court of law.
zap

Post by zap »

All this talk of basic reminds me i saved the Dot Basic site and here it is.
http://dotbasic.cbm8bit.com/ Not sure if the new webpage for Dot Basic is well known yet also the plus version is now free :)

Sixteen Plus Welcome mate........ first time i have seen you here......

Shane.
C= 8bit search, simply finds files fast.
http://cbm8bit.com/search
onlineprof2010

Post by onlineprof2010 »

Sixteen plus, shops do come and go and I have never seen those shops. But I would not be surprised if they existed in the past.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic