What were the most popular C64 floppy disks?

Games, Productivity Tools etc
Starglider

What were the most popular C64 floppy disks?

Post by Starglider »

Some 35 years ago I had a Commodore 64 (and still do) and eventually worked up to an Excelerator+ (we called it Excelerator Plus Plus Plus).

I've slowly recreating my childhood collection, and have my favorite tapes, but although I definitely had disks, and created disks, I just can't remember what they were. For some reason the nostalgia of floppies has left be, whilst the tapes remain in memory.

What were the most popular 5 1/4" disks back then?
Or to put it another way what do you recommend for any collection?

Thanks!

Starglider
motrucker

Re: What were the most popular C64 floppy disks?

Post by motrucker »

I don't know if these were the most popular, but in my collection Elephant brand disks seem to have survived better than most others.
C-64, C-128, and Amiga A2000 user
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

I bought all sorts of brands of DSDD floppy disks back in the 80s.

Nashua, Dysan, 3M and Kodak all fared pretty well and unless exposed to elements, all have well retained the information stored on them for decades.

The no brands disk all eventually had problems and were easily identifiable because they didn't have the clean shiny surface that was the hallmark of good brands. No brands disks also tend to leave deposits on the R/W heads of drives and that can even lead to their destruction.

Many people who used lots of very cheap floppies eventually killed their 1541/1571 R/W head(s).
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
merman

Post by merman »

I've tended to use DS/DD (double-sided, double density).

AVOID QD (quad density) or HD (high density) , these tend to develop more errors with the 1541.

Nashua, Banana, Verbatim and 3M branded have been reliable for me. Unbranded disks have often been faulty. I had one batch that was very "thin", the rotating disk having trouble spinning freely.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

merman wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:38 pmI've tended to use DS/DD (double-sided, double density).

AVOID QD (quad density) or HD (high density) , these tend to develop more errors with the 1541.
AFAIK, using 5.25" HD floppies can actually damage the R/W head of 1541 drives. The magnetic particles used on these disks is different from DS/DD.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
motrucker

Post by motrucker »

I think every one has had trouble with the no name, bulk floppies - but oddly enough, I have had trouble with Kodak disks. Only their "Color Diskette" for some reason, have all died on me (about 30 of them). None will format now, and none that were used can now be read by any drive I try.
The "regular" black Kodak floppies have always work for me, and still do.
C-64, C-128, and Amiga A2000 user
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

motrucker wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:13 am... but oddly enough, I have had trouble with Kodak disks. Only their "Color Diskette" for some reason, have all died on me (about 30 of them). None will format now, and none that were used can now be read by any drive I try.
The "regular" black Kodak floppies have always work for me, and still do.
I have a bunch of color Kodak floppies... will have to try them.
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

Yeah the original Kodak floppies apparently were made by 3M or in house. The newer Black and Color versions were made by Verbatim and they are quality. You should also avoid early 3M SSDD the disk surface has a matte lighter color to it and 90% of the many boxes that I had all got black spots on them that do not come off, even if they were sealed. The newer DS/DD have a darker color surface that is glossy and they are fine.

Brands I used extensively:

BASF Universal as these were notched on both sides and had two index holes. Worked great and I still have a supply. My favorite for sure.
Centech premium color disks. Still have these new and I rarely ever had problems back in the day. I like that they came in a hard plastic box.
Verbatim premium
Elephant
Maxell
Dysan
Janus
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic