Wanted: C64 Shift-Lock mechanism, barrel style

Looking for that illusive game?
Ryan_

Wanted: C64 Shift-Lock mechanism, barrel style

Post by Ryan_ »

I'm looking for a shift-lock mechanism for the 64. I need the round type, not the square. I don't need the key cap, just the mechanism.

eslapion

Re: Wanted: C64 Shift-Lock mechanism, barrel style

Post by eslapion »

There are at least 3 different types of keyboard on the Commodore 64. Could you post a photo ?
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
banman

Post by banman »

Hi Ryan_,

Check out this person called Pippowicz on thingiverse

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2792487

He has got a fantastic 3d printed design for using new components on the C128's shift lock.

It so happens that they work quite well on the VIC 20 style PCB as well as the C64 mitsumi (I think that's the correct spelling)
style PCB keyboards.
The VIC 20 and some C64 keyboards had a round style and some later model breadbin C64's had a square style.

However, what I observed is that all the keyboard PCBs have the same square hole that the locking mechanism pressure fits into..

They seem to work fine for me in either case. The great thing about this gentleman's design is that there is no damage whatsoever to the original keyboards.
So in the event you can get yourself the original shift locking mechanism it can be very easily reverted.

The only drawback I found is that the new shift locking components don't have the a full travel distance like the original shift locking mechanism.

I got these switches at reasonable price.

AU $1.46 | 10PCS NEW 8 * 8 latching switch Button switch double row self-locking 6 feet

https://a.aliexpress.com/_d85pscj

That's not a problem with the design so much as the actual new shift locking component that goes into Pippowicz's design.
If you can find a locking switch with a better travel distance.......

I hope this helps some..... :)
banman

Post by banman »

EDIT:
banman wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:46 am However, what I observed is that all the keyboard PCBs have the same square hole that the locking mechanism pressure fits into..

This is incorrect..... :oops:

Apologies for this typo...

It should be said that infact the shape of the hole in the different types of keyboard PCBs changes.
What remains the same in all the different varieties of breadbin C64's is the black plastic keyboard plunger holder frame.
This square hole on the plastic keyboard plunger holder frame is what the original shift locking mechanism and the new 3d printed design from Pippowicz slot into.

I observe that this remains constant thru all the various types of breadbin C64's that I have.
I would hazard a guess the same can be said for the VIC 20 line of keyboards as well.. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic