NTSC C16 software

Discussions for CBM PET, VIC-20, SX64, C16/+4 and Commodore 128 systems
metalfoot

NTSC C16 software

Post by metalfoot »

I have an NTSC C16 and I've noticed that most of the software available is PAL. Is this a matter of the 16 never really taking off in North America or are there certain programming tricks and timings that only work with PAL computers?

Kitty

Re: NTSC C16 software

Post by Kitty »

The NTSC issue isn't just plagued on the C16, a lot of C64 owners I know from America/Canada import PAL C64 machines for more freedom and better version games.
A perfect example of this is Bionic Commando PAL version which has better graphics/music than it's NTSC counterpart.

[video][/video]
PAL Version
[video][/video]
NTSC Version
metalfoot

Post by metalfoot »

Well aware of the PAL/NTSC Commodore divide! I only have/use NTSC machines, so I'm aware of that. Was just curious if there's much by way of NTSC C16 stuff or if... ugh... I'll have to make it for myself! ;)
icbrkr

Post by icbrkr »

Unlike the C64, there's really little different between the NTSC and PAL systems. There's a register on the TED that basically says "I'm PAL" or "I'm NTSC" and outputs accordingly. If a programmer wanted to, they could look to see what machine they're running on and flip accordingly. Since there's not any sprites to worry about, that's pretty much the only NTSC fixing you'll need to do.
icbrkr

Post by icbrkr »

Many months later... ;)

Just an FYI, some time ago I started keeping a directory of NTSC compatible Plus/4 and 16 titles on the BBS. On top of that, I've converted some titles from PAL to NTSC.
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

Nice. I'll have to check out the BBS. Is it a graphics board? I just recently bought a C64 Nic+ and have not had time to try it out. this is a good time I figure. What is involved with converting PAL to NTSC? Is it mostly a timing thing? Just curious.
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
icbrkr

Post by icbrkr »

It can be both.. I'm not an expert coder, but most of the time it's just setting a bit on the TED to allow it to use NTSC mode instead of PAL. Games that have more scan lines (because they are PAL) is a lot harder.

The board is a graphics board.. or you can hit it via the webpage to check it out (particles.org).

You can also convert your 16 to PAL - it's pretty easy to do. This should give you an idea of what is involved:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... a2def8679b
retango

Post by retango »

Hi Ice Breaker! First of all thanks for the BBS! I registered today and logged in, amazing it runs o a C128! I am connecting via a PC, I will try it in the future with a real C64: I have a 1541-Ultimate II, which should soon allow Telnet connections (with a new firmware)..
I wanted to ask, if possible, if you could share your C16 NTSC collection... I have a Plus 4 and a C16 with a SD2IEC, and found out that most games are PAL while my machines NTSC. I know you already share your collection on the BBS, but am finding it difficult to download the games.. and would like to put all of them in the SD2IEC, which would take too long from the BBS.. So perhaps a link or even an attachment to this post (if the file size is no too big!)
In any case, thanks for what the Particles BBS and for keeping Commodore alive!
icbrkr

Post by icbrkr »

No problem!

I would share the collection, but it's all on a big Commodore hard drive. To move it off of there would take me hours, if not days or more :) I don't have them in any other spot except for 1541s. The board supports 38,400 which means most games are downloaded in seconds.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic