Miggy Owners

Discussions for the Commodore Amiga
eslapion

Re: Miggy Owners

Post by eslapion »

dudz wrote:drool about your benchmark numbers like all the other amiga poopers? :lol:
I drool only about stuff that has nothing to do with computers...

My A3000 main function right now is... collecting dust.

BTW; why would you assume I'm interested in drooling about the benchmark of a 25 year old computer? I have an i7 laptop... :roll:

[quote="Zippy Zapp]Well if you don't need it I could for sure put it to use. I am missing an A3000[/quote]
I'd be happy to sell it but the postage is going to cost you. The thing weighs 10kg (22 pounds).

Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
motrucker

Post by motrucker »

I still really use my Amiga. I draw, and create art work on it, using programs from the now ancient DPaint V, PPaint, Image FX 4, and a few others with a Wacom Tablet I bought years ago. I can create better looking graphics on the Amiga then I can on a PC.
I also create fliers, posters, etc with a good DTP program (Pagestream 4).
I use both Windows software and Amiga programs to create the best work I can. Believe me, the Amiga is not dead for people like me.
My A2000 only has a "little" 40MHz '030, with 26Mb of RAM, so it isn't a powerhouse, like an A4000 could be.
C-64, C-128, and Amiga A2000 user
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

motrucker wrote: I can create better looking graphics on the Amiga then I can on a PC.
I find that too.

25 years ago, I wanted to show teenagers how a toy rocket motor burns inside with a small simple animation. It was so easy on the Amiga.

What a ton of trouble with any PC software.

I never found any equivalent to Art Department's backdrop and backline functions.

Back in 1992, I was paid to do advertisements using Professional Page 3.0
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
motrucker

Post by motrucker »

eslapion wrote:
motrucker wrote: I can create better looking graphics on the Amiga then I can on a PC.
I find that too.
25 years ago, I wanted to show teenagers how a toy rocket motor burns inside with a small simple animation. It was so easy on the Amiga.
What a ton of trouble with any PC software.
I never found any equivalent to Art Department's backdrop and backline functions.
Back in 1992, I was paid to do advertisements using Professional Page 3.0
My point was that I am doing this today! Granted there is also a new PC involved too, but, most of the affects I create are done with the Amiga, and occasionally with a C-64. It is so easy to import graphic, music, and DTP files these days, it's amazing what can be produced using all of these computers. My A2000 was collecting dust, until I realized that the PC software would not produce what I needed.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

motrucker wrote:My point was that I am doing this today! Granted there is also a new PC involved too, but, most of the affects I create are done with the Amiga, and occasionally with a C-64. It is so easy to import graphic, music, and DTP files these days, it's amazing what can be produced using all of these computers. My A2000 was collecting dust, until I realized that the PC software would not produce what I needed.
I know... I wish I still was but I've changed field of work since 1992...

I have something here that may be useful to you but it is so damn heavy and bulky; a Sharp JX-450 11"x17" scanner with the necessary ASDG Twin-X Zorro-II card and Professional Scanlab software.

I wish I could give it to you. It was worth around $5000 back then.
motrucker

Post by motrucker »

eslapion wrote:
motrucker wrote:My point was that I am doing this today! Granted there is also a new PC involved too, but, most of the affects I create are done with the Amiga, and occasionally with a C-64. It is so easy to import graphic, music, and DTP files these days, it's amazing what can be produced using all of these computers. My A2000 was collecting dust, until I realized that the PC software would not produce what I needed.
I know... I wish I still was but I've changed field of work since 1992...
I have something here that may be useful to you but it is so damn heavy and bulky; a Sharp JX-450 11"x17" scanner with the necessary ASDG Twin-X Zorro-II card and Professional Scanlab software.
I wish I could give it to you. It was worth around $5000 back then.
These were excellent scanners. I have seen them in action. Today I use the scanner on my HP printer/scanner, and import the work to the Amiga. It actually works quite well. I just found an '040 accelerator for my A2000, so I may speed things up a little. The 40MHz '030 I use now is OK, so I can hold out for a nice low price.
When we buy a house, I will set up a workshop so I can get back into some electronics projects. This apartment is just too small for any but the smallest of projects. This fall we hope to be out of here.
yaztromo

Post by yaztromo »

eslapion wrote:What good could I do with a nice A3000 runing OS 3.9 with a 35MHz 68040 on a mercury accelerator also carrying 32MB fast ?
Play games that could make use of the higher CPU speed?

If you're not into games and demos there's not a whole lot of use for it, not unless you're the creative type.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

In the Amiga days 1990-93, I loved playing a couple of games on the Amiga which supported analog joysticks.

F-117 Stealth Fighter, Grand Prix Circuit, Gunship 2000, A-10 Tank Killer were among them.

I admit Apache Longbow on the PC rendered Gunship 2000 totally obsolete.
motrucker

Post by motrucker »

I finally upgraded to a GVP 68040 accelerator, with 24 Mb of RAM. I also added an HP DVD writer (internal) to the mix. I'm running OS 3.5.
I'll have to look into the 3.1 upgrade (3.1.4, I think) to see if it has any advantages.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic