Gotek floppy emulator mod?

Discussions for the Commodore Amiga
Syrax

Gotek floppy emulator mod?

Post by Syrax »

Has anyone here tried this? http://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com/
The price is certainly right, and the the overall tech level required is in my means. How well does the Beta firmware work? Plus, where is the best place to buy a Gotek floppy emulator? When I go to there site, there seems to be a listing of industrial related floppy emulators. Will these work?

sm3

Re: Gotek floppy emulator mod?

Post by sm3 »

I have read a few mixed reports on the Gotek, but I have personally used one of these: http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=18

I purchased this originally to use on my TRS-80, but then needed a way to get Workbench 3.1 for my ACA500. I popped the case on the Amiga and connected this up. Works like a charm! Although you do need to convert the ADF to HFE, which is very easy with the software provided. I have actually seen a few A500's on the web with these installed: http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=116 but I have no experience with this model.
Syrax

Post by Syrax »

Yeah, I have seen those drives, but they are a little pricey for my blood. I am not doing anything right now. I want to perhaps try a Gotek, with a 25 to 25 pin connector, for an external drive. I have read the comments on the "hack" site, and the process seems to be problematic. I think for now, I will keep "out of the water". Thanks for your comments.
sm3

Post by sm3 »

I understand, this hobby can be quite expensive if you let it. Let us know how it turns out if you get one.
iced_nine

Post by iced_nine »

The one from Lotharek appears to be external - is this correct?
Commodore 64/Amiga 500 Enthusiast
sm3

Post by sm3 »

iced_nine wrote:The one from Lotharek appears to be external - is this correct?
He has several options, there is the black cased one that would be external and then there is a slim version that you can slip inside. Probably need some way to secure it I would think.

I originally got the external one to use on my TRS-80, but then needed it to install Workbench 3.1 on my ACA500, so that is why I used the black cased one. There is a 3rd type that has a partial metal case too. I can't vouch for any but the black cased one though, haven't tried the others.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic