A newer composite converter than N4

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
kevmo

A newer composite converter than N4

Post by kevmo »

I've been reading forum postings regarding getting C64 composite output to work on the newer LCD monitors. The only screen I can get to work is a 7" screen from a back-up camera from my car. and it only displays in monochrome. Postings from back around 2016 talk about the Viewsonic N4. Are there any newer converters that are available that any of you know about?
-Thanks

Gyro Gearloose

Re: A newer composite converter than N4

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

You know for sure this works with a C64 ?
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

No, not really, but these things are like a fungus, they're everywhere and they're cheap, and probably go under many different brands.

https://lyonsden.net/commodore-64-video-over-hdmi/

This looks suspiciously similar. Of course, there appears to be no control possible over what the device outputs except the output resolution, so it's a gamble. But for 11$ CDN and free shipping ...

I still have my old Viewsonic.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Viewsonic-High- ... SwjfdcQ52T

This price is pretty good too, and I know mine does the job.
The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

kevmo wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:45 pm I've been reading forum postings regarding getting C64 composite output to work on the newer LCD monitors. The only screen I can get to work is a 7" screen from a back-up camera from my car. and it only displays in monochrome. Postings from back around 2016 talk about the Viewsonic N4. Are there any newer converters that are available that any of you know about?
-Thanks
I know for a fact every RCA flat TV sets available on the market today will do a good job at displaying both VIC-20 and C64 composite outputs. They just don't have an S-Video input so you're limited to the definition you can get with composite.

These TV sets will also display in very good definition the output coming from 80 column VIC-20 and C64 cartridges. They sense the signal coming from the cart has no color and will switch to a higher definition mode.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
kevmo

Post by kevmo »

After several attempts at converters, I finally found one that works. It's still in monochrome but I get a signal onto a 19" LCD screen.
There seem to be a lot of converters on Amazon. This one takes Composite, S-Video and D-VGA and has a D-VGA output. There's a number of buttons for Menu, Mode, PIP, Etc. The first challenge is getting the menu to display in English. The second is figuring out the translation of the manual to English from Chinese. (Example: Press this key from the resolution is too high) (WTF???) I thought it was supposed to come with a remote, but I think that was a different version or I have to order it separately.
I will continue to my quest for the answer to the "Great Converter Puzzle" and keep you all updated. If anyone has a solution or even suggestions, please jump in.
One thing I did find in research was that the Commodore has a refresh rate of 15 Hz. Most displays now only do a minimum of 30 and up to 240 (stupid modern games). Some monitors have variable rates in the menu. Those seem to be hard to come by on EBay or Amazon.
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

kevmo wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:58 pm One thing I did find in research was that the Commodore has a refresh rate of 15 Hz.
You may want to continue your research. That doesn't make sense. Maybe you meant 15.75KHz, the horizontal frequency?
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

kevmo wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:58 pm One thing I did find in research was that the Commodore has a refresh rate of 15 Hz.
From what planet did you find that ?

Both the VIC-20 and C64 display at NTSC/PAL non interlaced rates by default that's 240p60 (60Hz refresh rate) for NTSC and 288p50 (50Hz refresh rate) for PAL.

The VIC-20, unlike the C64, can display in interlaced mode which makes it 480i30 for NTSC or 576i25 for PAL (30 and 25 Hz respectively). That's almost exactly the same as what you get from first generation DVD players.
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

I did order one of the ebay video->HDMI boxes to put my money where my mouth is. I shall try it as soon as I receive it. 8$ US with free shipping, I mean come on. Let's wait a few weeks, I have a 64, a Plus 4, a SX-64 and I guess a VIC-20 somewhere that I can try it with.
I am somewhat perplexed by the lack of controls on the HDMI box, maybe the firmware is advanced enough to recognize all kinds of weird signals like the not-quite-standard signals Commodores, Ataris, and Nintendos put out. Hopefully it will auto-center the display and sync on the colorburst correctly.
kevmo

Post by kevmo »

I just got an N4 on EBay. It just arrived today but did not include the power supply. I figured it would be easy enough as I have a box full of wall warts. However, I can not find anywhere on the unit, in the instructions or anywhere on-line what the polarity is. It's 12v at 1.2A but does not indicate polarity. I could just plug a center positive in and have a 50/50 chance of burning the thing out (unless it has voltage protection). Does anybody have an N4 and know whether it is center positive or center negative. -Thanks for your patience with this addled mind.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic