C64 3rd party mouse issue

Got an issue?
DistantStar001

C64 3rd party mouse issue

Post by DistantStar001 »

So I just got my first mouse for my C64 (made by Computer Technology Inc) and it doesn't (fully) work.

At first, I was afraid that this was an Amiga mouse. I've done that before. Now I have three tank mice and nothing to do with them. I googled the mouse, and apparently, they only made a C64 version (Yay).

So I tested it on a PAL machine with GEOS and it didn't respond to motion, but menus responded when I clicked the left button and the curser goes up when I click the right. That's more than I ever got from the tanks. So I know it's for the C64. I've tried manually moving the wheels but got nothing.

When I opened it, I noticed that the LED and sensors are bent out away from each other at different angles. I don't think this is normal, but I can't be sure. Any suggestions? Also, If I need to replace the sensors or LEDs, what are the part numbers/values that I should be looking for?

Here are some pictures:

DistantStar001

Re: C64 3rd party mouse issue

Post by DistantStar001 »

OK! So progress...

First: It's a Contriver Technology inc. mouse, model M1, not "Computer Technology". God, that text was small!

Second, after another round of Googleing, I was able to learn that the odd angles of the LEDs and sensors were not normal, so I bent them back. Sadly. this has not done any good in function. I didn't see any light coming from the LEDs, but they might be infra-red, that might be normal. In any case, I think I'm on the right track. However, I still don't know what replacement parts I might need so any help is appreciated.
banman

Post by banman »

Hi DistantStar001,

Just saw your post. Looks like a really nice looking mouse.

Something reminded me of a video I watched a while ago relating to a similar issue.

I think it has something to do with the resistor values needing to be readjusted.

Let me think about where I saw this. I get back to you....😁
banman

Post by banman »

Hi DistantStar001,

I think this might give you some ideas.

Let me know how it goes.....
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

Maybe, like the 1351, it has several operating modes that are selected by pressing a button down while powering it up?

Is it supposed to be a proportional mouse? Would GEOS work with a 1351 driver with this mouse?
The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic