Commodore DIN Plugs

Got an issue?
Thingumybob

Commodore DIN Plugs

Post by Thingumybob »

I’ve been looking for DIN plugs for the 1541. I wanted to purchase them from a distributor such as Mouser or Digi-Key; but, I can’t find an exact replacement.

Here’s what I did find though. A distributor named Pan Pacific sells a six pin DIN-5500-S.

I emailed them for a data sheet since they don’t have it posted on their website. I measured the pin spacing off the 1541 circuit board with calipers. The pin spacing appears to be an exact match.

I have one broken jack on my 1541 but I’m going to order two and change them both. I’ll update this post with my results.

Thanks,

Thingumybob

eslapion

Re: Commodore DIN Plugs

Post by eslapion »

There seems to be problems with the Canadian search engine of DigiKey. I logged on the US version and found these:

- 9-211509-0 from TE

- 5212045-1 from TE

- SDS-60J from CUI

- SDF-60J from CUI

These may have different footprints so check carefully.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Thingumybob

Post by Thingumybob »

Thanks for posting your search results. I checked them out but couldn't find an exact match. The easiest way to check them is the ground pin spacing on the front. It seems the standard now is 5mm. Most of the jacks on Commodore computers have a 10mm spacing.

Anyway, the DIN-5500-S was a match.

The vendor I bought them from was nice because there was no minimum order amount. You can purchase these in bulk from most of the distributors for around $0.75/ea. Depending on the vendor though, you may need to purchase $15-25 minimum. Then the shipping is well over $15. These were $2.79/ea with a minimum $3.95 shipping. I was able to put 7 or 8 of them in my cart before the shipping jumped to around $6. The shipping was fast. Also, I liked how they were individually packaged for retail sale.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Good to know! Other people will benefit from your investigation!
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Thingumybob

Post by Thingumybob »

It's been a few years since then. The vendor I used to buy these from went out of business recently. I've found another vendor that sells them for about the same price. It's CBMstuff. The DIN plug they sell is probably a Pan Pacific. I bought a bunch of them for a project. Everything else still applies. There are vendors that say they will sell the Pan Pacific product as long as you buy something like $50 worth of product.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic