Building a Sixty-Clone ? Use the right chips!

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
eslapion

Building a Sixty-Clone ? Use the right chips!

Post by eslapion »

Finally, somebody made a video about CMOS vs TTL logic chips and fake Chinese chips.

So, if you build a Sixty-Clone: DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM CHINA! Get your chips from an official distributor such as Digikey, Mouser or Avnet.

Make sure you use the correct logic ICs and these are 74LS or 74HCT
See:
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbo ... ge-levels/

https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/AN-368.pdf

Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
eslapion

Re: Building a Sixty-Clone ? Use the right chips!

Post by eslapion »

I recently noticed other people on various forums building 1581 drives from cloned circuit boards. Apparently some were affected by fake Chinese chips and had to deal with negative consequences.

Avoid Amazon and eBay at all costs when it comes to logic chips.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
rmzalbar

Re: Building a Sixty-Clone ? Use the right chips!

Post by rmzalbar »

Even LM358 op-amps are faked, with genuine parts often on intergalactic backorder with legit suppliers. I've yet to see any genuine TI parts on ebay or Amazon.

My roommate was recently affected as well, with fake regulators slipping into a previously legitimate supply chain, resulting in an entire production run of units unusable: Power consumption 35% higher than normal and overheating on a battery-powered device. The difference between the parts is nearly impossible to see under a microscope but the switching signature on an oscilloscope between the fake and real parts under test is not even similar. I'd love to see the die shots.
Smooth operator
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic