How to connect C64 to TV or monitor?

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
Kimbo71

How to connect C64 to TV or monitor?

Post by Kimbo71 »

Good afternoon,
I hope you can help me please - I recently turned 50 and on a whim bought a mint Commodore 64G - I grew up on a C64 brown breadbin but I love this particular model.
I have no knowledge at all of wiring/connections so please can you advise of the best way to connect my 64G to a monitor or TV?
Thank you very much indeed for your reply.
Best wishes,
Nick (UK)
:D

rmzalbar

Re: How to connect C64 to TV or monitor?

Post by rmzalbar »

You have three video outputs with the C64:

- TV RF / Aerial Lead - this would need to get an RCA to coax cable adapter, then run normal TV cable into the coax cable input of your TV. Then you tune it to the proper channel. This is the simplest and most likely to work.

Adapter looks like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coax-to-RCA- ... /928296644

- Composite from the 8-pin video jack. This would go to the CVBS/Composite input on your TV. Most modern TVs don't have this anymore and the composite output isn't very strong on the C64, so it's a bit of a gamble if a modern LCD TV will be happy with it.
- Luma/Chroma from the 8-pin video jack. This gives the best video, but needs to go to an "s-video" mini-DIN input on your TV. These are exceedingly rare on a modern TV.

You can find 8-pin video cables with outputs for composite or luma/chroma (s-video) on ebay. They are specific to the C64. If your TV has SCART input, you can try an 8-pin C64 to SCART cable from ebay.

There are also devices that can convert the composite output of the C64 to HDMI. Mixed results are reported but they can be very acceptable. Here is a write-up on one:
https://lyonsden.net/commodore-64-video-over-hdmi/
Smooth operator
Kimbo71

Re: How to connect C64 to TV or monitor?

Post by Kimbo71 »

Thank you so much for your reply - very much appreciated! :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic