Cartridge Stuck in Port and Bent Pins on Pin Header for Keyboard Input ASSY 250425

Got an issue?
WarpOverload

Cartridge Stuck in Port and Bent Pins on Pin Header for Keyboard Input ASSY 250425

Post by WarpOverload »

Hello, fellow retro computing nerds! I recently bought a C64 ASSY 250425 Rev. A (untested, admittedly. I have experience in the repair industry of computers so I knew I could fix it if broken) off eBay. It has some common issues, such as bad color RAM (all the chips are socketed, thank you, commodore, or somebody who once repaired the C64 LOL!) but it has two problems that seem to be super rare problems that don't have any documentation on how to fix it and/or any replacement parts to repair it. The first problem is there is a stuck cartridge (an EPYX fast load to be exact) stuck into the cartridge port. No matter how hard I try, I cannot free the cartridge from the port. Somebody must've been a little reckless, huh? :lol: I'm guessing desolder the port? Just making sure. The second problem is there are bent pins on the keyboard input pin header. They are so bent it is impossible to bend back in place. I cannot find any replacement pin header, and I do not want to buy another C64 just to replace it, considering I've already spent about $500 on the C64 itself, games, and accessories and I don't want to spend anymore. I may or may not have taken it out of my college savings, so I definitely do not want to spend any more. If anyone can help, please reply.

Thanks!

eslapion

Re: Cartridge Stuck in Port and Bent Pins on Pin Header for Keyboard Input ASSY 250425

Post by eslapion »

The pin headers for the keyboard are pretty standard 0.1" spacing pegs. There must be dozens of shops on eBay selling compatible headers (usually 40 pins long) which you can cut to the correct number of pins using a modeler's hack saw.

Cartridge port replacements is something I carry. I sell them 4$US each. I could even include a compatible keyboard pin header for you for free.

Spending 500$ for a 250425 is quite a large sum. I hope you got a large inclusive setup for that money.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
WarpOverload

Re: Cartridge Stuck in Port and Bent Pins on Pin Header for Keyboard Input ASSY 250425

Post by WarpOverload »

Great! Could you send a link to your store?
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

What store ?

I sell direct or through distributors. The distributors don't carry this item so your only option left is to send me a PM with your coordinates. This will allow me to provide you with an exact cost of shipping and payment directives.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic