Floppy Deep Dive

Games, Productivity Tools etc
p1tom

Floppy Deep Dive

Post by p1tom »

Check out my latest Floppy Deep Dive on the C64 - Green Beret (1986) This is the port of the arcade Rush 'N Attack. It turned out very good on the C64 but it was HARD! Did you play? Check out What's on that Floppy? here:

merman

Re: Floppy Deep Dive

Post by merman »

Loved Green Beret - had it on the Konami Coin-Op Hits compilation.

For a while we didn’t have a working joystick - so I worked out the keypresses that were equivalent to moving a joystick in port 2. Sadly they all involved pressing Space and a key together, so it would fire off the special weapons as soon as I got them - and jump/Up was Space+F1 which was very awkward!
Baber64

Post by Baber64 »

Good idea. More deep dive!
GREEN BERT

Post by GREEN BERT »

That version of Green Beret was clearly the PAL version played on an NTSC machine. It's already hard enough without speeding the game up!
rmzalbar

Post by rmzalbar »

GREEN BERT wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:17 pm That version of Green Beret was clearly the PAL version played on an NTSC machine. It's already hard enough without speeding the game up!
Oh Christ, this game was my bane as a kid - pirated Green Beret played in America, duh, of course it's probably a PAL game.. I was completely unaware of the NTSC/PAL issues until I had an Amiga 500 with an RGB monitor many years later, which could switch between the two timings when needed. As a kid I theorized two things:

1. Something inherent about the C64 hardware tended to drive developers into making games that ran real fast unless they were carefully designed

2. Crackers often screwed up games in the process of cracking them, explaining the graphic corruption and jumpy scrolling. (At the time I wasn't very aware that most of the cracked releases I got my hands on were just direct imports from Europe or why that might matter.)

I need to give this another try on a PAL machine!
Smooth operator
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic