Excelerator plus schematic?

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
Gyro Gearloose

Re: Excelerator plus schematic?

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

ARGH! How did you get yours to work perfectly? Mine is an aggravating paperweight.

The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
rmzalbar

Post by rmzalbar »

Yours doesn't run? :x

Mine came to me fully working. All I had to do was service the mech and install Jiffy. I also bleached the front plastics. Both of mine are the 16k ROM version of the board, which should be a later revision and might be different from yours in significant ways. The only soldering I did was to replace the ROMs and I didn't have any trouble, but the PCB is thin.

I did have to cobble up a power supply, one was missing.

Let me know if there's anything you want me to check on mine.
Smooth operator
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

I got this drive off eBay and obviously someone already fooled around inside. I didn't expect to have to put in so much effort to repair it.

When you told me you have two it made me quite upset. :)

But that's OK, I have two working 1581s. How you like that? :D
The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
rmzalbar

Post by rmzalbar »

The first time I saw a 1581 at someone's house, as a kid, I exclaimed: "Woah, you got a HARD DRIVE?" Was quickly corrected by the dad.

Nice, 1581 are considered forever unobtainable to me at this point.

Clone kits can be built sometimes, hopefully microcontroller or pi based versions will probably make that less painful soon. Maybe one day I'll get motivated to try that, but generally it's original hardware that makes me happy!
Smooth operator
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

Prices have gone bonkers on some of the nicer C= hardware. The REUs, 1351, 1581, 128D... Nuts!
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

A Super Snapshot v5 just sold for 392$ CDN. I think I prefer Jiffy DOS.
rmzalbar

Post by rmzalbar »

I tried to buy a Super Snapshot V5 out of the back of a magazine when I was a kid. Saved up ~$70 or so, called the number and ordered it C.O.D, put money in an envelope near the front door only to have it stolen by a friend a week later. The package never showed up anyway. I forgive you, Toby. Super Snapshot people who didn't take a kid seriously, not so much.
Smooth operator
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

Yikes. When I was a kid I read those stupid ads at the back of comic books. I wanted the "real flying" model rocket. I didn't know any better so I just shoved money into an envelope and mailed it out. Of course I never heard back. I don't remember how I got the money or the stamp, but for sure sending Canadian money to the USA was not going to work. Also not putting anything else in the envelope didn't help either.
rmzalbar

Post by rmzalbar »

I remember ordering stuff from the joke shop ads by putting money (with coins) in the envelope. I was careful to cut out the ad and write up a nice order request. They were nice to me and sent me my stuff, even though it sometimes turned out I was ordering from 20 year old comic books with very outdated prices. In which case they'd send a current catalog along with it!
Smooth operator
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic