Windows 10 downloaded to computers automatically

Non related nonsense and ramblings
eslapion

Windows 10 downloaded to computers automatically

Post by eslapion »

Yes, I did check my i7 laptop and sure enough, a 5.91 GB folder called $Windows.~BT was present in my C drive.

Yes, I did have to pay overcharges for downloading during august and didn't know why...

Read on yourselves...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/windo ... -1.3229063

:evil:

Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
eslapion

Re: Windows 10 downloaded to computers automatically

Post by eslapion »

Isn't anybody else deeply offended by what the giant in Redmont has done?
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

I am, and I have been railing on them in relevant forums and social media. Windows 10 in general is an egregious assault on consumers. It utterly disregards their wishes and their privacy.
Professionally I have strongly advised my customers to hold on any upgrades to Windows 10 until at least next fall by which time hopefully updates and service packs will have taken care of the more major bugs. More importantly, hopefully by then Microsoft will have backed down on the privacy issues, assuming consumers demand it. After all they backed down on the more serious Xbox One issues due to public backlash. Hopefully people will have the sense to demand that Microsoft fix the more serious privacy invasions that are part of Windows 10.
For business users, there are even possible liability issues for businesses. Windows 10 collects not just private user data transmitted on the network, but scans and collects any and all files on the user's PC.
Some home users seem not to care about giving up their privacy, as foolish as that is, it's their choice. But I personally wouldn't upgrade at this point at least until some of the privacy issues are addressed and resolved.
The Real, Original Tachyon.
Accept no substitutes!
dudz

Post by dudz »

Windows 10 collects not just private user data transmitted on the network, but scans and collects any and all files on the user's PC.
it's not just win10 though - they have pushed these monitoring services into win7 and win8 as well by now (unless you have specifically disabled the respective updates)
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

dudz wrote:it's not just win10 though - they have pushed these monitoring services into win7 and win8 as well by now (unless you have specifically disabled the respective updates)
By all means tell me how to disabled THAT as I have Windows 7.

So many times, I saw the HD and network activity skyrocket as I was essentially doing nothing with my laptop. When I saw that, I just grabbed the router's cable and disconnected it. I frantically looked for viruses/trojan horses in the machine and found nothing everytime.

... that was Bill...
dudz

Post by dudz »

uhm it went through the media a few weeks ago, but i cant find a proper link now... you can probably find articles related to it with a bit of effort :)
the big problem however is, that they also announced that they will stop publishing details about what exactly individual updates will do - so the only way to be absolutely sure is disabling updates alltogether (which is what i did as well... i only use windows for toying around though, so security issues dont matter much to me on that machine)
Melon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Melon »

This may help
.oO( MELON64 - ONE SLiCE AiN'T ENOUGH! )Oo.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

@Melon
Excellent one!
zap

Post by zap »

My sister inlaw is on wireless broadband with 2gb of data limit as she is in a area not yet covered by normal Internet.
She is contacting the ombudsman about the loss of all her data due to Windows 10 uploads etc. Microsoft thinks every one in the
world has fast unlimited broadband... She wants a refund of $65 from them and be removed from the service that chew all her data.
She going to the media next and as a pensioner with REMOVED, limited schooling and no technical skills i hope make a bit of a deal about it.

Shane.
C= 8bit search, simply finds files fast.
http://cbm8bit.com/search
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic