PLAnkton EV, a new version of PLAnkton

Moderator: eslapion

eslapion

PLAnkton EV, a new version of PLAnkton

Post by eslapion »

Hi everyone,
PLAnkton has been a very popular product since it's introduction back in August 2015. More than 3000 units have been sold since, a number which I find stunning after all this time.

Back then, me and co-creator Fredric Blåholtz expected to sell a few hundreds. With lots of luck maybe 1000. We were quite surprised with the demand and the very positive reception.

However, time has passed and a few potential improvements have been noted.

For one thing, a genuine Commodore PLA signals at a voltage between 3.7 and 4.5 volts. Usually hovering around 4.3 volts. PLAnkton feeds the XC9536XL core CPLD at 3.7-3.8 volts and while this is within the requirements to be representative of a good PLA, it is beyond the recommended operating voltage defined by the manufacturer. At the same time, it is somewhat too low when compared to a genuine Commodore PLA.

Also, even when using the low power mode of the XC9536XL and slew rate limiters built into this type of IC, PLAnkton's slew rate signaling remains much higher than a genuine old PLA.

PLAnkton EV resolves these issues by adding a CMOS buffer which will be powered at 4.3V while the CPLD is now powered at 3.3V. The buffer uses legacy CMOS technology which has a low slew rate nearly identical to that of vintage technology PLAs and is powered at a voltage which also allows it to signal a higher voltage, now also nearly identical to that of vintage technology PLAs.

Half a dozen units have already been made and thoroughly tested.

EV means Exact Voltage. Better pins are installed with 10uin (0.25um) gold plating on the pins. Priced at 16.50$US (14.75 Euros).

Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
eslapion

Re: PLAnkton EV, a new version of PLAnkton

Post by eslapion »

First tested prototype of PLAnkton EV
First tested prototype of PLAnkton EV
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Photos of the final product offered here and on eBay:
DSC03328.JPG
DSC03330.JPG
emilijanus

Post by emilijanus »

Hello,
I haver order seems like last Plankton off EBay from you. I was wondering if there are more, especially this new version?
Please let me know!
Thank you, and appreciate your hard work on all things Commodore.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

emilijanus wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:19 am Hello,
I haver order seems like last Plankton off EBay from you. I was wondering if there are more, especially this new version?
Please let me know!
Thank you, and appreciate your hard work on all things Commodore.
I have plenty of both PLAnkton and PLAnkton EV in stock. I just sent you an e-mail.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Already more than 120 units sold!

Presently 90 units in stock!
braincell

Post by braincell »

Hi eslapion.

I have purchased a plankton EV from retroleum after this video......

This worked very well until however it let put the magic smoke from ( U1) I suspect......

What is the value/spec of this component so I can replace

Thanks

Lee
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

braincell wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:47 pm ...
This worked very well until however it let put the magic smoke from ( U1) I suspect......

What is the value/spec of this component so I can replace

Thanks

Lee
First please know PLAnkton EV is guaranteed for 3 years so there is no need to go through the trouble of replacing parts yourself.

U1 is the 3.3V reguiator os if it failed then more than likely the circuit was subjected to a short circuit. This would normally indicate the CPLD failed.

If you simply replace the regulator then it will likely do exactly the same thing again.

I have sent you a private message with my e-mail address. I encourage you to contact me to get a free replacement unit.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

E-mail received and replied.

I await your reply before shipping in order to confirm the address is correct.
Melon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Melon »

.oO( MELON64 - ONE SLiCE AiN'T ENOUGH! )Oo.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic