C64 Headphone mod question

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
Olesen

C64 Headphone mod question

Post by Olesen »

Hi
is it possible anuyone can tell me what this is, its used in my c64 for a headphone jack mod

Kind Regards

Gyro Gearloose

Re: C64 Headphone mod question

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

If the mod is just this part it's likely to be an audio transformer used to match impedances.

Although what for exactly is hard to tell without knowing what kind of headphones this is supposed to go with.

There are many types of transformers still made.

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/filt ... BTHEAXQF8g

The 64 has plenty of voltages inside to just use a simple amplifier to drive headphones to ear-splitting levels. I wouldn't have used a transformer like that unless it was to drive electrostatic headphones... an odd choice.

Or it could have been a step up transformer to boost the 9VAC in the 64 to even higher levels although I don't see why anyone would do that.

If they used a transformer to go from mono to stereo I can only imagine that would sound horrible.
The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
Olesen

Post by Olesen »

Thanks my man, any guide on how to just add a jack out ?, i know the headphone out is the 3.5 and theres only audio in the left earphone, so dont know kinda new to the modding of C64 :D so any guides to add a 6.3 jack out or a 3.5 would be very appreciated :)
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

That's an interesting question.

I always just used the audio out from the video cable to route to a receiver/amplifier and plug my headphones there.

The 64 audio is quite noisy and the power supply itself is also very noisy for audio work.

I don't have an easy answer right now.
The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
Olesen

Post by Olesen »

Oh alright nice thanks my man! :D
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

I mean it wouldn't be terribly difficult to make a proper circuit to drive headphones, but where would you put the volume control?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic