CMD SuperCPU - who's still interested?

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
satpro

Re: CMD SuperCPU - who's still interested?

Post by satpro »

Hi Shaun,

I wrote that diatribe yesterday partly out of frustration, but it is something I truly believe deep down. It's hard to overstate how confusing his code is. I have this silly theory that goes like this: "Nobody has ever used Judd's source code in an actual program." Wonder if it has any basis.

All right. Enough of that crap. I am embarrassed even talking like that.

So, let's get something official started and little by little, we'll see it grow. I'm working on Warpspeed right now. FANTASTIC body of work, an absolute gem. Written by a guy named Joe Peter who really knew what he was doing. His source is so easy to understand (none of that trickery nonsense you see so much of) and once you use the fast loader it is hard to use anything else. Warpspeed doesn't blank the screen (which is a nice feature) and it works with both PAL and NTSC.

Got a lot done, but it's written in Merlin ,too, so it takes time to go through it all. I plan on adding it to the SCPU ROM, modified such that it becomes an invisible part of the main program. After I get it straightened out for my assembler the next step will be to convert it to native '816 code.

yaztromo

Post by yaztromo »

Shaun_B wrote:
yaztromo wrote:Well I certainly would if I could get my hands on a SuperCPU (I'm not one for emulation)
I do know someone who's looking to sell one in the summer months but I can't guarantee that'll be at a cheap price so it depends on how much you have to spend and how much you want one?

Regards,

Shaun.
I'll definitely be an interested buyer. Of course it does come down to price in the end and I don't have a huge budget. But please by all means give me a nudge when this person is looking to part with his SuperCPU and I can see what he wants for it.

Many thanks!
satpro

Post by satpro »

Hey, maybe we can get Arthur to write a native '816 assembler for the SuperCPU.
ajordison
Developer
Developer

Post by ajordison »

satpro wrote:Hey, maybe we can get Arthur to write a native '816 assembler for the SuperCPU.
I wouldn't count on it :lol:
Try out CBM prg Studio for all your Commodore development needs!
Stay a while...stay for erm quite a while!
64 Lover

Post by 64 Lover »

Interested
satpro

Post by satpro »

Great! Do you program or have one now? Welcome to the forum.
64 Lover

Post by 64 Lover »

Thanks for the welcome message. I have a SuperCPU and am always interested in new programs. Are there any details on what is being written?
satpro

Post by satpro »

Speaking only for myself, although there are others who are working on a some things, there is the Winc64 project, which is an attempt to create a modern OS for the SuperCPU-based c64. I no longer own the actual hardware and test using the SuperCPU emulator (which is very good) in VICE. I have an 8-bit version, too, but don't spend as much time on it because 16-bits is so much more fun to work with.

Winc64 is being written as an add-on to the original ROM (which can be up to 512K) and runs in native mode. It's all in hires (with text mode also), uses a mouse, and has high-speed loading and saving right now, with plans to make the entire DOS high-speed a bit later. Much of the graphics work is already done. Although the JiffyDOS ROMs are available on-line, they are not present in the VICE version. Right now I'm working on getting the Warpspeed cartridge ML monitor (which was released by its author) adapted for use in the Winc64 64-column mode, and updated for '816 opcodes. It is an awesome monitor, no doubt about that. But we can make it resident in ROM.

Another thing a few of us have tossed around is to grab old programs (from the 80s) and spiff them up for use in a modern setting, with the hope that it will attract more users. It's a process that will take some time, but at least it's under way. Until someone can build a new SCPU in hardware, most of us use the VICE emulator, which feels like the real thing (to me at least). They really did a great job with it.

Shaun Bebbington (Shaun B.) is a big SuperCPU guy around here and can probably point you to other sources, too. BTW, if you need reference, I have plenty to offer. Just ask for your specific needs and I'll be happy to send you links to my collection.

If you would like to work on things, by all means, go to it -- and let us know here what you are working on. We have a good crowd here and the admin has been nothing short of terrific to all of us. Arthur Jordison (ajordison) has an excellent cross-development IDE called CBM prg Studio which is now in version 3.0.0 and it produces code for both the 6502 and 65816 CPUs. CPS covers all aspects of c64 development including sprite and character set creation. You can download it from this site.
zap

Post by zap »

If i wrote an updater too add content too The SuperCPU Home website would that interest anyone.
It would be a simple form with an uploader for your image and a place too leave a comment that would insert your update into
the chosen section of the site.

zap.
C= 8bit search, simply finds files fast.
http://cbm8bit.com/search
satpro

Post by satpro »

YES! What ideas do you have in mind for it? Anything SuperCPU is a good idea.

BTW, does the SCPU mailing list work? I remember some time ago I signed up and nothing ever came of it. Sort of forgot about it since, but now seems like a good time to ask.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic