A new generation of PLA for the C64 is now available.

Moderator: eslapion

eslapion

Re: A new generation of PLA for the C64 is now available.

Post by eslapion »

Oge_user wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:19 pm
Gyro Gearloose wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:17 pmI get the feeling the real purpose of making PLA substitutes is to create drama and show off that you have a scope.
I completely agree. PLAnkton just does its job good and costs even less than an used Commodore PLA, which goes for insane price when bought from eBay and - when not bought in New Old Stock condition - cannot be expected to work for long periods of time.

Finding a New Old Stock PLA was something possible some years ago, now it is rare enough that - from my point of view - if you are lucky enough to find one from a ol' man electronic store, then reselling would be an unwise move. I would personally keep the mint PLAs for future preservation and just use a PLAnkton.
Dunno... discovering the intricate details of what exactly makes a PLA sub work ok on all versions of the C64 has been a frustrating but truly fantastic adventure.

Jim Drew dared me so I had to get it done and with the help of the posted information of Thomas 'Skoe' Giesel it became a sort of quest that had to be accomplished.

To top it off, Groepaz trolled me for years on various forums about my PROM based solution causing problems which it never did. To add insult to injury, Tynemouth software openly announces exactly how to make such a PROM based solution which does cause the aforementioned problems but of course he and his friends are completely silent about it.

I knew the secret that was missing was in analog details you can't find in the logic equations and Jens Schönfeld had the audacity to say I think too much in analog terms... duh!

PLAnkton is the first PLA substitute to provide everything a C64 needs to work exactly like it has a real PLA. Sure you can have better delays here and there. Sure you can have pin 1 and 19 which are not even used. You can also have a more accurate voltage while genuine Commodore PLAs give you something between 2.5 and 4.4 volts... in the end what matters is you get something that's within functioning tolerances.
Last edited by eslapion on Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

1200 units sold!
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Nedward

Post by Nedward »

Id like to grab one of these, PM sent!
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Nedward wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:36 am Id like to grab one of these, PM sent!
PM replied!
Nedward

Post by Nedward »

Received and installed, works great. Thanks for your hard work.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Nedward wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:26 am Received and installed, works great. Thanks for your hard work.
I'm glad you like it. Please spread the word!
nrg

Post by nrg »

I'm interested in buying 2x c64 planktons. PM sent!
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

nrg wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:20 pm I'm interested in buying 2x c64 planktons. PM sent!
PM replied! Thank you for your support!
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Forgot to keep the count here...

1600 units sold!
hurminator

Post by hurminator »

All I can say is the PLAnkton works perfectly for me! Very happy customer! I bought 4 of them total so far.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic