Another one thinks the earth is flat...

Non related nonsense and ramblings
eslapion

Re: Another one thinks the earth is flat...

Post by eslapion »

Borat wrote:So what is the best solution to the PLA replacement issue at present? Is it the M27C512-90B6 or PLAnkton (and the likes)?
My condolences on your defunct PLAnkton module.

The answer to your question depends on the type of mainboard you have, your budget and your technical know how.

PLAnkton is the easiest and most compatible replacement solution that works on all C64 boards except the C64c's assy 250469. PLAnkton is the only solution I recommend for older boards like the 326298, KU-14194 and 250407.

However, if you know you have a board with a built-in CASRAM RC filter - these include boards 250425, 250466 and the SX-64, you have a fairly good amount of technical know how and want to save money (usually because you want to repair many C64 boards) then the (E)PROM based solution may be for you.

If you can lay your hands on a genuine M27C512-90B6 (I have a few left and Ray Carlsen has a few dozens) then all that's needed is to make an adapter as per the plan provide here: http://www.vic20.de/html/eprom_pla_8296_und_c64.html
Jim Brain also sells adapter boards which require only a 28 pin DIP socket and a set of 0.1" spacing pin headers. Last time I checked these boards were 1.50$US each.

If all you can find is the Atmel AT27C512R-45PU (still in production and available from Mouser and Digikey) then you have to make an adapter and add to that the filtering detailed by Ray Carlsen's documents.

If you're an engineer or an experienced technician then power figures may also play a part in your decision. A genuine Commodore PLA usually requires slightly less than 100mA to perform its job. Since the source power is fed at 5Vdc then 5V * 0.1A = 0.5 watts of power and this chip produces that much heat dissipated on this small size and so it becomes hot. That's the main cause for failure.

* PLAnkton requires only 22mA because it uses a CPLD operating at a fraction of its real maximum speed - me and Fredric tuned it for slower speed.

* The power requirements of the M27C512-90B6 was measured at 8mA. It's an older memory chip by today's standards but since it's not really a logic chip, it runs at its fastest speed when used as a PLA and it uses very little power. It can only be used as a logic chip in a C64 because it's such a slow machine by modern standards.

* The AT27C512R-45PU is the latest (and may be the last) parallel PROM chip on the market and it uses a measly 5mA - that's nearly 20 times less than a Commodore IC.

Please note this thread was started because Tynemouth Software suggests a procedure to use the AT27C512R-45PU as a PLA replacement but mentions absolutely nowhere the necessity for signal filtering.

PLAnkton also signals at 0 - 3.6 volts exactly like a genuine Commodore PLA (TTL-LS levels) while PROM based solution signal at 0-5V. Tynemouth is also wrong in saying low voltage ICs require voltage adapters for that reason.

Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
dudz

Post by dudz »

Instead, what will they find now? You bitching. What a great service to the Commodore community... be proud!
dont worry, noone except a hand full people ever read this forum at all. nor do they care about PLA horn tooting.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

@dudz
Your few posts in this thread are off topic and serve no purpose other than to antagonize. Reported as such.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
dudz

Post by dudz »

tooting horns even more in PM doesnt change that fact either
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

dudz wrote:tooting horns even more in PM doesnt change that fact either
a) How old are you exactly ? The fact the Commodore 64 and VIC-20 remind me of my teenage years doesn't mean I'm still one. In fact, these computers proved incredibly useful when I was studying electrical engineering.

b) What could it possibly matter to you ? If anything you said were true, you wouldn't care and wouldn't keep posting. What vested interest do you have in doing everything you can to disrupt this thread ?

IMHO, you want at all cost to prevent the people at large from getting correct information about PLAs and/or want to piss me off.

In either case, this is the category you fit in:
dudz

Post by dudz »

TOOOT TOOOT TOOOT

keep it coming!
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Seriously...
dudz

Post by dudz »

come on, you can do better than that! at least show some effort in trying to be funny!
Melon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Melon »

OK guys, the trolling can stop, kthx :)
.oO( MELON64 - ONE SLiCE AiN'T ENOUGH! )Oo.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

@Melon
Hey, what can I say ?

Some people desperately don't want you to know you might be able to get a PLA replacement for your C64 for only 3$US.

If I don't like the subject of a thread, do you see me barging in there saying only a handful come to the forum anyways and this is "whatever subject" horn tooting ?

This is just a way like any other of saying "STFU - you're not among those allowed to discuss this subject".

My answer to dudz:
Tough luck little capo ...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic