Suggestions on Plus 4 problem?

Discussions for CBM PET, VIC-20, SX64, C16/+4 and Commodore 128 systems
Gyro Gearloose

Re: Suggestions on Plus 4 problem?

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

Well it amuses me to no end that I can get TTL chips from behind the Iron Curtain!

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/K555KP11-SN74LS ... rk:29:pf:0

LOL I'm going to give these a try. They'll probably be on 2.5mm centers instead of 2.54mm. No big deal on low pin counts.

This is fun!

The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

Cool. Sounds like you are on the right track. The MOS versions of the 74XX chips are some of the worst chips in any C64/Plus/4. According to Ray's website they are a frequent failure. Those and the TED and CPU are probably the top 3 worst chips in the Plus/4 - C16.
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

I'll hook up the 8708 chips on a breadboard and take a look at how they work or rather don't work.
My place is a mess, so later.
In the meantime I noticed I was actually missing a lot of 74LS parts used in C= machines so I ordered a bunch from Futurlec. I don't know about buying 74LS parts on eBay.
I have many 74LS245s for some reason.
The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

I tossed in a 157 instead of a 257 and now I have the full 60K free on power up. The 257 has three-state outputs but in the Plus 4 the OE is always low so the hi-z output is never even used so a 157 does the job.
It's been a long time since I fooled around with discrete logic... But I got it to work in the end.
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

Well there we go. I received my device programmer, the TL866, and it has a logic IC test function.
There's the problem with the 8708.
Honestly I bought that programmer since it was recommended over at EEVBlog, I didn't check all its features. I was pretty happy to see the chip test feature, certainly saves me the trouble of lashing up a breadboard.
In the meantime I found two vintage 74LS157s in my bin from 1981, CSF-Thompson branded. I have more parts than I know!

And oddly even though I've been tootling around with electronics for decades, I never had a general purpose programmer before. I feel like the chip test function is the coolest thing ever. It can also test SRAM. It claims to do DRAM but I don't see any familiar part numbers.
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

update: I ordered some 74LS257 parts from Futurlec and they also fail in the same way, one out of 4 logic units fail, all the same.
guess I can't cheap out on these.
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

I had no idear that the TL866 has a logic test for 74x chips. That is pretty cool. I think I would pick one up for that alone as it is still cheaper then the dedicated logic ic testers I have seen. I have a GQ-4x but it is an older revision and the latest software only works with the later revision which is just dumb. It doesn't have an IC tester either.
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic