Zoomfloppy nibwrite issue

Got an issue?
Zippy Zapp

Re: Zoomfloppy nibwrite issue

Post by Zippy Zapp »

Those look good. I prefer to put nice labels on my backups too. The only thing I have not been able to find is full size labels like on the EA games. There labels typically went edge to edge or close to it.

Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
rmzalbar

Post by rmzalbar »

I've started using uncut label paper and razor knife/straightedge to get proper dimensions. The edge-to-edge labels are a bit of a mess anyway, because of the write protect notch and sticker. I recently added a write-protect sensor override to my zoomfloppy drive so I don't need to punch the reverse side anymore, at least. Would be neat to find unpunched bulk duplication disks that aren't too old to be used.
Smooth operator
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

I have invested 25 hours of my time trying to get NibTools (NibRead and NibWrite) on a big PC (i7 with 6 cores) equipped with Window 7 64 bit and got nothing to show for my efforts.

CBMXfer works, NibRead and NibWrite both crash with a cryptic error message.

Yes, I have the latest version of everything involved.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
rmzalbar

Post by rmzalbar »

Ugh! I haven't tried installing OpenCBM and nibtools since I moved from Win7 to Win10 a few weeks ago, but I had it working fine on Win7/64, with the libusb-win32 driver installed using Zadig. OpenCBM 4.99.99, normal version, I couldn't get the libusb1 version to work. What error message were you getting?
Smooth operator
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

rmzalbar wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:37 am Ugh! I haven't tried installing OpenCBM and nibtools since I moved from Win7 to Win10 a few weeks ago, but I had it working fine on Win7/64, with the libusb-win32 driver installed using Zadig. OpenCBM 4.99.99, normal version, I couldn't get the libusb1 version to work. What error message were you getting?
The pop-up says:
nibread.exe - Application Error

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to
close the application.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
rmzalbar

Post by rmzalbar »

You could try this dependency walker to see if any if it's trying to load any dll or other resource missing from system:
https://www.dependencywalker.com/

You might also take a process monitor log, which may show if it's trying to open a file that doesn't exist:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... ds/procmon
Smooth operator
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

rmzalbar wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:30 am You could try this dependency walker to see if any if it's trying to load any dll or other resource missing from system:
https://www.dependencywalker.com/

You might also take a process monitor log, which may show if it's trying to open a file that doesn't exist:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... ds/procmon
25 hours is already way more than I should have invested to get this working. I consider this piece of software to be simply defective.
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

Thats weird. I run it on a Windows XP box but I havent had any problems running it on Win7 with the 64bit version of NibTools. Are you installing OpenCBM with the ZoomFloppy distribution? Also have you tried running the command prompt with Admin rights before you attempt to use NibRead? Since Nibtools are command line tools it is weird that you would get a pop-up window. All errors should show up in the Console not a popup.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Zippy Zapp wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:34 am Thats weird. I run it on a Windows XP box but I havent had any problems running it on Win7 with the 64bit version of NibTools. Are you installing OpenCBM with the ZoomFloppy distribution? Also have you tried running the command prompt with Admin rights before you attempt to use NibRead? Since Nibtools are command line tools it is weird that you would get a pop-up window. All errors should show up in the Console not a popup.
I got in touch with Peter Rittwage. I installed what he told me...

CBMXfer would not work without OpenCBM. Yes, it is the latest version (of both).

Yes, I do start the apps from command prompt.
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

Sorry I just saw the reply. I hope you got it working. The only other thing I would suggest is try an older version of NibTools. The Original ZoomFloppy installation zip file included an older version of NibTools. I think you can download previous versions too from the site. Not sure if it will help though.

http://www.root.org/~nate/c64/xum1541/index.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic